Shopify is a commerce platform that allows you to set up an online store and also sell your products. It was established over ten years ago when the founder Tobi wanted to sell snowboards with his company at that time called Snowdevil.
Shopify has made waves all over the world, services available on Shopify include; physical products, digital products, services and consultations, memberships, rentals, classes, and lessons, etc.
In business, things happen unpredictably most times. Sales can unexpectedly decline, life circumstances change, giving rise to a thought of trying something new and different or you need to take a short break for a family vacation.
For whatever reason you might want to close or cancel your Shopify store, this post aims at making your wish a reality, scroll down.
For a Shopify account owner, two options are available – pause your store temporarily or close your store completely at any time.
While pausing or closing your store, if you have any pending charges on your account, you will receive a final invoice from Shopify with these fees. If you do not have any pending charges, you will not receive an invoice.
How To Pause your Shopify store
Pausing your store keeps it running while disabling checkout. In order words, potential buyers and customers can browse through your website and products but cannot purchase anything.
You can also continue to make changes to your store such as adding or editing products and anytime you’re ready to start selling again, you can easily unpause your store again by choosing a new Shopify pricing plan. Interested? let us see how it works…
- Navigate your Shopify admin panel as the account owner
- Tap on Settings – Account
- There is an option to “PAUSE YOUR STORE” in the store status section.
- Click on the Pause Store option.
- A dialog box that explains what will happen once you pause your store will pop up on the screen
- Confirm by clicking on Pause store
Your store will be paused in no time and you’ll be charged a reduced price. Once you are ready to start selling again, you can unpause your store and continue.
How To Close your Shopify store
You can close your online store completely at any time. Completely closing your store implies that you will no longer have access to your Shopify admin.
You will be able to log in but will need to activate your store in order to edit products or make any other changes. Ready? Follow these steps to close your Shopify store
- Log in to your Shopify admin panel as the account owner
- Click on Settings – Account
- In the Store status section, you will find the option to “CLOSE YOUR STORE”
- Tap Close store
- Enter your password
- On this page, you can contact Shopify to see if they can help you in any way. If you want to proceed with closing the store, select a reason from the drop-down menu
- Click on Close my store
That is just all you need to do. I did not keep this information to myself, do well to also share it with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, etc.